Understanding the relationships between texts and visuals by exploring the creation of book cover design in unison with literature.
Participants shall get a better picture on how designers, editors and authors can improve collaboration.
- Introduction - A talk on two book cover case studies on how we create cover concepts and develop designs. Focus on the interrelations between book title, literary theme and book cover.
- Conceptual Phase - Brainstorming a story, a main theme and sketching one or several visual concepts. Present a story, main theme and sketches of visual concepts with emphasis on composition, explaining the mutual relationship between the visual concepts and the main theme. Brainstorming of titles for each visual concept. Participants present their titles for each sketched concept, sharing their thoughts on the mutual relationship between titles and visual concepts.
- Developmental Phase - Development of cover designs with visual elements: imagery technique (illustration, photography, 3D image or typography), aesthetics style, fonts, colours and elements.). Participants share their thoughts and decisions based on the mutual relationship between design visual development and title, main theme and story.
- Conclusion - Participants share their experiences and takeaways from the workshop. Q&A session.
This workshop takes place on:
- 18 May 2022 (Wednesday), 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm SGT
Minimum – Maximum Number of Participants: 1 – 30 pax
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to 5 working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Those who did not turn up at the workshop will not receive a refund.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation and withdrawal policy and accept the terms contained therein.